Friday, May 20, 2011

Worst Blogger of the Year

This picture was taken right after we got off the plane!
I'm not going to spend much time discussing how horrible I am at keeping up with blogs because I feel like it's obvious. That being said let's not dwell and move right along with a much needed update!!

Things in Sydney have been great. Never a dull moment.

I pretty much planned out my life about 9 months ago. I decided I'd finish school with a bachelors of social work in December of 2012. Study abroad Spring 2011 in Australia (just for fun!), then study abroad again during the Summer of 2012 in Mexico to finish up my Spanish minor. After my undergrad, I'd go to grad school for the one extra year and get my masters (because let's face it, it's impossible to do anything with social work with just a BSW). After finishing school for good I'd move to Austin, Texas where I'd start my job with Hospice (you can find out more about what Hospice is here), while also working with an adoption agency on the side. (I've always had a huge heart for adoptions and I'm so passionate about it!). At some point I'd get married and do that whole thing but I'd let that just fall into place when it felt like it. So that was the plan.

Then I went to Australia.

Ever since I stepped off the plane I've felt an immense feeling of belonging. I haven't been shy about how much I love Australia, but how could I be? When you know, you know. And I know that I love Australia. I wasn't sure what I was going to do about this feeling or how this would fit into my life but I started to pray daily about the Lord revealing His Will to me, and what He wanted me to do about the great country of Australia.

About a few weeks ago I found out just what that might be. While talking to a friend that lives in Sydney I found out about how hard the adoption process is in Australia. My heart was initially broken for these kids and for this country. Since then I've read a few articles about it (http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/36942.html is a good one) and done some independent research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption_in_Australia is good for a general overview) and I honestly believe this is why I came to Australia. This is the reason God called me here in the first place. I want to change this.

That sounds impossible, doesn't it? Regardless, this is something I've felt the Lord put on my heart and it's something I want to see through. Between 2008-2009 in Australia 68 children were locally adopted. I couldn't find a recent statistic for the United States but I did find that in 2001 alone approximately 127,000 children were adopted. The adoption process here in Australia is around $40,000 and can take about 8 years. Most couples have resorted to adopting from other countries.

Call me naive for believing that I can make a difference but when you are given such a clear image of the Lord's Will can you honestly turn away and say no? Especially with verses like Romans 8:23, "And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies." and Ephesians 1:5 "He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of His will," resonating within my heart. We are adopted children(!), and that realization sparks something deep inside me.

So that's where my heart is. If yall could be praying with me that would be incredible. (For my future in Australia, the adoption process, the right people to reveal themselves that can help make a difference/connections, for the Lord's Will to be done in Australia, for the children in the system, for the families applying and the government's role/soft hearts)

Thankful for the few who still read this! Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment