Friday, February 11, 2011

The Village People

Today we went to a Village. Like a legit, village. Self-sustaining. Village school. Village village. We were so lucky that they opened their way of life to us but it happened to land on a day after a night of dancing (surprise, surprise) so everyone was dead tired. And I mean dead tired. I wish the village would have lasted a few hours but it started around 10 and ended at 5 so we did a lot of sitting around and waiting. They were on Fiji Time which meant they were late for pretty much everything. Our lunch was 2 hours late and I think this is when culture shock really started hitting me. They didn’t have any vegetarian food, I was tired and hungry. They kept giving me Kava which literally tasted like dirt. I missed my family and friends. I missed how easy my life was back home.

Obviously I realize how lucky I was to experience Village life. I knew culture shock would hit me I just didn’t know when. I worked through it, especially when I realized I was experiencing culture shock and things were going to be okay. The Village people ended the night with a farewell dance and this man asked me for my number. No that wasn’t a mistype, it was a MAN. He was probably in his 60’s but he told me he wanted to move to America for me. He kept asking for my address for when he was moving to “be with me”. Crazy ending to a weird day. When I got home I took a 3 hour nap just in time for dinner and a relaxing night!

No comments:

Post a Comment