Tuesday, February 15, 2011

To the land of Oz

I’m here. I arrived yesterday after a 4 hour long plane ride and let me tell you it was worth it. It is incredible. We landed at about noon and then it took 45 minutes to get through security, get our bags and go through customs. I didn’t want to “declare” anything when entering the country because then I’d have to go through quarantine but when I walked up to get my passport stamped the worker saw the bracelet I made in the village and made me go through quarantine anyways because it was plant. Outrageous. When I got to quarantine and told them why I was there they just laughed. Not the way I wanted to start a relationship with Australia but it made up for that extra time it took when I walked outside and realized I was in Australia.

I love it here. I was getting a little homesick but since Australia is so similar to the states it definitely helped. They have Target, Ben & Jerry’s and Borders bookstore. The people are so friendly, and have a great sense of humor. The “Macquarie Village Center” is across campus (about a 15-20 minute walk) and the best way I can describe it is a mall mixed with Grocery Stores on acid. There are 4 levels, but each level has a ½ level. There is a Target on the bottom floor, a “BigW” (Australia’s version of walmart) on the 2nd floor, a Woolworth’s (like Albertsons) on the 3rd floor and a movie theater on the 4th floor. Or something like that. Then there are tons of department stores. TONS of food places. Regular mall stores. Kid stores. Dollar stores. Book stores. Electronic stores. Literally anything you would need is in this center. I wish they had that in America. I’ve only been here for about 30 hours and it’s already Australia-1 United States-0. This center would put Mall of America to shame. The only negative thing is the fact that pretty much everything closes at 5:30 except on Thursdays and everything closes at 9.

We walked to the mall yesterday but I didn’t buy sheets because we ran out of town and I thought it’d be easier to just buy them from the Villages I’m staying in. When I went in to buy the sheets I found out they are poor quality and WAY over priced. I tried to go back to the center but it was pasted 5:30 so everything was closed! I ended up sleeping on top of the skirt I had to wear in Fiji, with a small throw I bought just incase, and I filled one of my purses with dirty clothes and used it as a pillow. Nothing something I ever want to do again. Pictures will be up soon.

I was able to sign up for internet last night but it’s based off how much you use, not monthly so I can’t upload tons of pictures because it will drain my usage. I’m pretty bummed about that but there is free wifi on campus I’ll be able to upload pictures whenever I go on campus (5 minute walk). I can’t really look at facebook because that drains the usage too. I literally only get online if I need to see something and not just to waste time. I guess that will be good for school and my social life. Even when I write blogs I have to do it in word and then transfer it over to my blog website so it doesn’t use up my time. That’s a little frustrating, but I’m just going to need to set up a schedule to skype with people so I’m not just sitting on skype.

Besides all that, the village I live in is great! It’s huge and I get my own bathroom! Lots of fun. I wish I could decorate it but the only option I have is hanging up sheets or posters that I’ll be able to bring back to the states! Today during orientation I was already thinking about how I could pitch it to all my family and friends that we all need to move here. It is truly a love place. Not only that but it has a great vibe going around. All of the other villages have parties all the time that people just walk right in to. Everyone leaves their door open and people will just walk in and start talking to you. Love it. I had to have a serious brainstorming session and I decided I at least need to go back to the states to finish school. Haha, I’m sure if I could I would just stay here forever. It’s crazy to admit that because I love Texas so much, but Australia is just so incredible.

We finally got cell phones today! The only numbers in my phone are the numbers of the people in the AIFS program, it’s sort of comical. We’re almost like a cult! They ran out of the $29 phones so I had to buy the $79 one! So expensive! But worth it. It has a walking GPS on it so if I get lost (which will happen daily) I’ll be able to find my way back. Also, I’ll have this phone for 5 months so I’d like to be able to check my email and get the most out of it. Most of the people that got the $29 phones are regretting it because it literally only calls and texts. I’d consider it a win-win. There will be a meeting on Thursday about finding a job and I’m definitely going to that since EVERYTHING is so much more expensive here. Although, I did find a bike for $98 and I know I could sell it to someone on Craigslist when I leave so I’d love it if I could do that!

So that’s pretty much my life in Australia so far. Pictures are posted here Album 1Album 2Album 3 & Album 4

No comments:

Post a Comment