Sunday, February 27, 2011

Australia's Quirks

I thought I might enlighten everyone on the differences of Australia and America.

1) The portion sizes are very different. (Probably why Americans are so fat) A full meal is about 1/2-3/4ths America's portions. You don't get free soda refills. I've lost at least 10 lbs.
2) THEY DON'T HAVE GRAHAM CRACKERS. Hence, no smores.
3) Everything is bigger (besides the people). The birds look like they ate 3 other birds and morphed into a huge mutant bird. I saw a lizard in my house the other day and thought it was something that escaped from a zoo. It was AT LEAST a foot long, and very thick. When I asked someone to remove it, they said it was a NORMAL, HOUSEHOLD lizard. Not ok. The ants look like king ants. Usual size? AN INCH. And don't get me started on the spiders.
4) They don't have fast food on every corner and definitely don't have a value menu
5) Taking a year off before college is "normal" and pretty much everyone does it.
6) If you dance with a guy at a club, yall are pretty much dating.
7) Things usually start late
8) No one knows where anything is. If you ask 5 different people how to get some where all 5 of them will give you different directions...that don't lead to the right place.
9) It's normal to leave an apartment with food & your electronics/kitchen appliances when you move out
10) EVERYTHING is expensive. But, jobs pay a lot more. Minimum wage is around $17.00/hour
11) They know more about America then most Americas.
12) Work stops at 5 pm. For everyone. The malls close, unless it's Thursday which is "shopping day". This really proves the theory that Australian's work to live and American's live to work.

I'll post more later when I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment